Saturday, September 24, 2011

When I get sick...

I know, it's been a while again since I last blogged. Pardon the laziness. Anyway, I just wanted to blog about how my folks take care of me whenever I get sick, coz currently I am. My all-time nemesis strikes again, and asthma is the name.

I've been living away from home for a quite sometime now. FYI: I'm no runaway kid. I just chose to venture into a different place where I can exercise my freedom and independence. I can honestly admit that even at the age of 20, I was still very dependent to most of the people around me. But guess what? Not anymore.

A few year back, I was rushed to the ER and was confined in the hospital for a week.

You can never tell I am sick. :)

I was unfortunately diagnosed with CAP (Community Acquired Pneumonia) due to excessive partying that led to over-fatigue. And I have no one to blame with that but myself. Since I am asthmatic, it made the situation worse. When I was rushed to the ER, I was already running out of oxygen (but not like I was dying). I was having a hard time breathing that they tripled the dose of my salbutamol nebulization, and they also gave me oxygen so that I will be able to breathe well. It's not that worse. It seemed like a normal attack to me plus the hospital. I never really learned my lesson. It was both my Mom and Dad who stayed with me at the hospital. I just felt so loved and important that they filed a leave of absence just to stay with me (not all parents do that). And that's one thing I really miss--parents taking care of a sickenly-sick daughter.

After a few days, I got better.

Self shot with a dextrose and oxygen tube.

I could even take pictures of myself and roam around the hospital without catching my breath. But I still stayed at the hospital though because my therapy is still ongoing.

As I compose this blog, I am thinking of my parents. I know they are so darn worried about me right now. Maybe it's hard to say this but: "Ma, Pa...don't worry about me anymore. I can manage". I kept on thinking that everytime I get sick now, I will only have no one but myself. I would pay medical bills using my own money. I would go to the doctor without a company. I would set the alarm to wake me up to take my meds in the middle of the night. And to cap it all,  I just simply take care of myself now. Yes, I can do that. If I was saying this a few years back, I don't think anyone would believe me.

It's already morning and I haven't gone back to bed yet. I just woke up to take my meds but here I am, still awake. Let me just sing myself a lullaby, perhaps I can get to sleep with that.

"I laugh myself to sleep, it's my lullaby". ~Avril Lavigne

No comments: